Thursday, June 27
9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Karen Tuttle was a legendary violist and pedagogue, whose teaching emphasized the release of all mental and physical tension to allow for beautiful, expressive playing. If you are a violist or violinist who will be participating in Green Mountain Chamber Music Festival this summer, this seminar may be ideal for you.
These intensive sessions, conducted by three of Tuttle's distinguished students, will include two 1.5-hour master classes per week, for a total of 12 hours during the 2013 Green Mountain Chamber Music Festival.
Students will have the opportunity to perform their repertoire of choice during intensive sessions focusing on:
- Playing with less tension
- Healthy set-up and grounding
- Sound production—more beauty, less effort
- Precision and ease in left side technique—shifting, intonation, vibrato
- Ease in right side technique—clear bow strokes, repull, filling up notes, rhythmic stability
- The art of cueing
- Knowing key joints in the body and how they help facilitate power and grace in performing
- Tabuteau numbering system for varying intensity levels in phrasing
- Musical phrasing and its connection to the body.