Green Mountain Chamber Music Festival
June 25 - July 23, 2023 | St. Michael's College in Colchester, Vermont
4 hours of daily practice
Daily chamber music rehearsal
6 lessons & 6 chamber coachings
Lectures and presentations
Emerging Artist Concerts
RESOURCES & ACTIVITIES
Programmed recreational activities
Local hiking & weekend excursions
Saint Michael’s fitness facilities
Bus access to Burlington (9 min.)
Tuition for 2023 Programs
-Regular four-week program: $5,010
-New! String Quartet Intensive (2 weeks): $2,505
-New! Fully funded Fellowship Positions available (4 weeks)
All programs include room & board; see detailed information on new offerings below.
In order to apply for all programs, students* must submit the following by February 1, 2023:
- online application and fee ($85)
- After February 1, late applications will be accepted on a space-available basis with an application fee of $95.
- YouTube video links to audition recordings (details below)
- If applying for need-based scholarships, financial documentation will be required
- teacher recommendation
*each student must submit an individual application and pay the $85 application fee for Green Mountain Chamber Music Festival, even when applying as a member of a pre-formed quartet for a Fellowship or String Quartet Intensive position.
NEW PROGRAM OFFERINGS IN 2023
- In 2023, GMCMF is introducing a fully funded Fellowship Program for up to 8 young professional string players between the ages of 21 and 35 in the early stages of their careers. Fellow candidates should be seasoned chamber musicians with a broad knowledge of the string chamber repertoire; they should be at a professional level of technical accomplishment on their instruments; they should be comfortable in a mentoring role. The expectation is that Fellows will be exceptionally successful in their collaborative relationships and unusually thoughtful in their musical work, serving as artistic role models for students in the regular program.
- The minimum educational requirement for Fellowship applicants is a Bachelor's degree. Fellowship participants will attend the full four-week program.
- Pre-formed quartets are encouraged to apply, although individual applicants will also be considered. If you are applying for a fellowship as part of a pre-formed string quartet, all quartet members must file separate applications and a video file of the quartet will be required.
Fellowship Program includes:
- Free room and board for the duration of the festival
- Performance opportunities at public and private venues
- Collaborations with faculty in faculty concerts
- Opportunity to premiere competition-winning string quartet
- Up to 6 lessons with festival teachers
- Practice tutor responsibilities (5 hours per week)
- Assistant coaching responsibilities (up to 5 hours per week)
String Quartet Intensive Program
- The String Quartet Intensive offers a highly selective two-week program for pre-formed string quartets from June 25 to July 9. This option is exclusively for pre-formed groups who have been working together and have been coached for at least a year. Members should be between the ages of 14 and 30. Groups should have a performance history and videos to submit. Tuition for SQI is $2505, which includes room and board.
- Students will adhere to a different schedule from regular festival participants; they will rehearse and have coachings in the morning and practice in the afternoon. Students in the String Quartet Intensive will receive daily coachings Monday through Friday, for a total of 10 coachings. SQI students will not be scheduled for private lessons but may request lessons for an additional fee. Performance opportunities in public and private venues as well as master class opportunities will be available to SQI groups. Individuals in the SQI are eligible for scholarship but must apply for scholarship individually. Please note the regular program is four weeks; students attending the regular program are required to attend for all four weeks.
Green Mountain Chamber Music Festival Audition Requirements and Guidelines
All individual* audition recordings must meet the following criteria:
- Audition recordings must be uploaded to YouTube and be viewable through June 2023. YouTube links must be set to ‘unlisted’, not ‘public’ or ‘private’. You will later enter these links on the application.
- Each applicant must submit audition recordings of two contrasting works representative of their solo playing
- recordings with accompaniment are acceptable, although accompaniment is not required
- Applicants may submit one recording containing both works or two separate recordings. Performances must be unedited
- Please ensure applicants' whole instrument is visible in the recording frame.
- Record in a quiet space with no background noise present. If at home, make sure to record away from extraneous noise, such as appliances (refrigerators and air conditioners), or outside noise such as traffic and construction.
- Ensure the microphone is not too close to applicants' instrument when playing. An external microphone is not required for these recordings, but may be useful in capturing the highest quality of sound.
- Please listen to and watch the recordings all the way through before submitting to ensure acceptable audio and video quality. If you have questions, please email email@example.com.
- If you have to choose between high quality audio and high quality video, choose high quality audio.
*Pre-formed quartets applying for a Fellowship or String Quartet Intensive position will be asked to submit video footage of the quartet performing two contrasting pieces totaling at least 15 minutes. *Individual applicants who are applying for a Fellowship Position will also be asked to submit a chamber music recording from the last year of either a public or private performance.